Tuesday, June 14, 2005

After 27 hours from go to whoa we finally arrived at Heathrow Airport in London. It's been such an exhausting few days and I can hardly believe we're actually here at last. That last stage from Singapore to London felt like forever. I watched lots of movies, read a bit and listened to music but slept little. Dave managed a fair bit of sleep but we both have a lot of catching up to do. I'm hoping to sleep for hours tonight. I finally went to bed at 4am on Monday morning after downloading 200 songs to my mini ipod so I'm due for a good night's sleep! We collected a red Ford Fiesta hire car from Heathrow and drove to Epsom where Dave's cousin lives. They're in Portugal currently but left us the key to their house. They return on Thursday. This is a delightful house - so full of character. The garden is just beautiful and everywhere is so green - it rains here, frequently! Our bedroom is in the attic at the top of three flights of stairs. It's just like a 'Milly Molly Mandy' room! The only problem is the bathroom is one flight down - hope I don't trip over in the dead of night! When Dave collected the key from the neighbour he lent Dave a big map book on England - a lovely old gentleman. We drove to Sainsbury's to buy a few groceries and everybody is so friendly. I just love listening to English accents. They're all different and so interesting. It's so lovely to be here again but I'm so looking forward to that bed tonight. I'm hanging on as long as I can to try to avoid jet lag. We're 9 hours behind Australia so it's 5.45am on Wed over there but here it's 8.45pm on Tuesday night! The forecast tomorrow is for rain. We're taking a train into the city - can't wait to revisit London. My last visit here was 13years ago and so much has changed!

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

wow - you will end up with a kiwi-aussi-pommy accent. Can't wait to hear it!

thanks for keeping us up to date!

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Carolyne said...

Thanks for keeping in touch with us all, especially about the fact that it is raining somewhere! After the Saturday deluge, the landscape is still martian. Have a wonderful trip and don't fall down the stairs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home